While a certain storm sharing a name with a certain movie batters my beloved borough (and the entire Northeastern U.S., for that matter), I’ll take this time to advertise some upcoming local events!
- Manolo Valdés Monumental Sculpture – On display through May 26th, 2013 at the New York Botanical Garden.
- Woodlawn is for Lovers Tour & Concert – “Love – be it unending, lost, unrequited or forbidden – is the theme of our “Woodlawn is for Lovers” tour.” Takes place Sunday, February 10 @ 12:30 PM at the Woodlawn Cemetery.
- The Laundromat Project: Professional Development Fellowship Information Session – For artists! Learn to craft (or enhance extant craft) in “socially engaged” art. Takes place Tuesday, February 12 @ 6 PM at 901 Hunts Point Ave.
- Transportation Alternatives: Bronx Volunteer Committee Meeting – “The Bronx has laid dormant for long enough! One of the first T.A. Volunteer Committees is experiencing a revival and we want you there to help transform the Bronx.” Takes place Wednesday, February 13 @ 6:30 PM at the Bronx Museum of the Arts.
- Bartow-Pell Mansion Valentine’s Day Concert – An hour-long concert featuring a 19th-century romantic flair! The event also includes a French bistro dinner option! Takes place Thursday, February 14th @ 7 PM at the Bartow-Pell Mansion; the dinner follows at Bistro SK on City Island.
- Not Just Talk: Food in the South Bronx – “From conflict can come progress. On February 16th we create a platform of inclusion, celebration, discussion and action. Join us for a multidisciplinary approach to discuss food and it’s affect [sic] on the South Bronx (and abroad).” Takes place Saturday, February 16th @ 11 AM at The Point.
- The State of the Bronx Address – Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr. delivers this year’s State of the Bronx address on Tuesday, February 19 @ 11:30 AM at James Monroe High School.
- Cemetery Records: A Key for Your Genealogical Research – Join Andrea Ramsey, chair of the Caribbean research group of the Jean Sampson Scott Greater NY Chapter of the AAHGS, in this workshop on discovering African-American and Caribbean heritage through cemetery records. Takes place Saturday, February 23 @ 11 AM at the Woodlawn Cemetery.
- Nature Exploration Hike: Siwanoy Trail – Take a hike on the Siwanoy Trail! Hike begins from the Bartow-Pell Mansion; wear comfortable walking shoes and bring a snack since this is a moderate-level hike (i.e. moderate pace over rugged terrain). Takes place Saturday, February 23 @ 11 AM.
- The Bronx Chamber of Commerce’s 10th Annual Awards and Scholarship Banquet – “Celebrating 118 years of service to The Bronx, recognizing our accomplishments of the past 10 years, and honoring our distinguished award recipients.” Takes place Thursday, February 28 @ 5:30 PM at Marina del Rey; event is pricey but some of the proceeds go toward Hurricane Sandy relief efforts.
For more information on these and other upcoming Bronx events, visit the Bronx Events Website!
© Nelson Beltran, 2013. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of any part of this post without express and written permission from the author is strictly prohibited. You may use excerpts and links, provided that full and clear credit is given to Nelson Beltran with proper and specific direction to the original content.